The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories
by Tim Burton
From breathtaking stop-action animation to bittersweet modern fairy tales, filmmaker Tim Burton has become known for his unique visual brilliance – witty and macabre at once. Now he gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children – misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging in their cruel, cruel worlds. His lovingly lurid illustrations evoke both the sweetness and the tragedy of these dark yet simple beings – hopeful, hapless heroes who appeal to the ugly outsider in all of us, and let us laugh at a world we have long left behind (mostly anyway).
Community Reviews
4.12 · 32,067 ratings · 2,092 reviews
Tina rated it
Shelves: owned-books
This is me--a huge Tim Burton fan (or so I thought):

One day, while carelessly browsing the Internets, I came across a book that I had no idea existed. I couldn't believe my eyes and felt especially stupid when realization hit me: I must have been living under a rock in a... Read full review

One day, while carelessly browsing the Internets, I came across a book that I had no idea existed. I couldn't believe my eyes and felt especially stupid when realization hit me: I must have been living under a rock in a... Read full review
Ahmad Sharabiani rated it
Shelves: poetry , gothic , humor , childrens-young-readers , united-states , literature , 20th-century
The melancholy death of Oyster Boy & other stories, Timothy Walter Burton
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is a 1997 poetry book written and illustrated by American film director Timothy Walter Burton.
The poems, which are full of black humor, tel... Read full review
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is a 1997 poetry book written and illustrated by American film director Timothy Walter Burton.
The poems, which are full of black humor, tel... Read full review
Amalia Gavea rated it
about 1 year ago
The final gasp of his short life
Was sickly with despair.
Whoever thought that you could die
From breathing outdoor air?
For most lovers of the 7th Art, Tim Burton is an incredible talent. For us Gothic aficionados, Tim Burton is a genius, a pioneer whose creations opened t... Read full review
Was sickly with despair.
Whoever thought that you could die
From breathing outdoor air?
For most lovers of the 7th Art, Tim Burton is an incredible talent. For us Gothic aficionados, Tim Burton is a genius, a pioneer whose creations opened t... Read full review
Kenny rated it
Alone and rejected, Mummy Boy wept,
then went to the cabinet
where the snack food was kept.
Tim Burton, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories

I needed to read today. I didn't want to simply read, I NEEDED to read . I felt a need to clear the voices of Mrs. D... Read full review
then went to the cabinet
where the snack food was kept.
Tim Burton, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories

I needed to read today. I didn't want to simply read, I NEEDED to read . I felt a need to clear the voices of Mrs. D... Read full review
Florencia rated it
Recommends it for: burton fans, dark humor lovers.
Recommended to Florencia by: me!
I am a fan of Burton's movies. So, I was kind of interested in his writings. It wasn't a big surprise to find out that the level of awesome weirdness was the same. The characteristic Burton mixture of darkness and uncomfortable tenderness.
I mean, he wrote some really fre... Read full review
I mean, he wrote some really fre... Read full review
Melki rated it
Shelves: disturbing , pure-poetry
Reading this tiny tome was sort of like taking a prolonged vacation on The Island of Really, Really Misfit Toys. The natives are strange but friendly. They take some getting used to, but after a while, you'll want to hug them...BUT be careful - many of them have sharp obj... Read full review
Cecily rated it
A short collection of macabre poems, illustrated like a children's book, but aimed more at the YA market, and delightful for dark-thinking adults as well.
There are lots of gory things about eyes, stories of non-human children (toxic, half robot, half oyster etc) and a mo... Read full review
There are lots of gory things about eyes, stories of non-human children (toxic, half robot, half oyster etc) and a mo... Read full review
Ariel rated it
This was FANTASTIC. OH MAN. SO GOOD.
I don't have much to say. It's a collection of short poems and accompanying doodles by Tim Burton. It's damned creepy, freaking depressing, laugh out loud funny, and utterly awesome. Read full review
I don't have much to say. It's a collection of short poems and accompanying doodles by Tim Burton. It's damned creepy, freaking depressing, laugh out loud funny, and utterly awesome. Read full review
Rebecca McNutt rated it
This collection of dark comedy poetry was at times very funny and creative, but at other times too strange for its own good. It's a good balance I guess, my favourite one being the 'Toxic Boy' poem. Read full review
amy ☂︎ rated it
nothing but macabre, delightfully weird and absolutely nonsensical: this is why i'm a tim burton stan.
i couldn't have picked a better time to reread this. halloween month without burton content???? not in this household.
i couldn't have picked a better time to reread this. halloween month without burton content???? not in this household.
"The Boy with Nails in His EyesRead full review
put up his aluminum...












Comments
Post a Comment